The Christmas shut down can be open season for thieves and opportunists if your building isn’t adequately protected. A lot of companies close their doors over Christmas and New Year to give all staff time off to celebrate the festive season. However this can mean reduced security if a good access control cards system and sensible procedures aren’t in place.
In the rush to escape from work on Christmas Eve full of feelings of excitement and goodwill, security can be a bit lax. Make sure your business doesn’t fall prey to those looking for a bonus Christmas present by following a few simple steps.
Tips to keep your building secure over the festive period
1. Make sure valuables are locked out of sight wherever possible – don’t advertise to thieves what’s available. Ideally lock stock and valuables away in a secure room
2. Ensure that you fully ‘lock’ the building for the duration of the holiday and change access rights if necessary, just providing a handful of key users with access
3. If staff members lose their access control cards in the run-up to the Christmas shut down, make sure they are cancelled from the system immediately so they don’t pose a security risk
4. Make sure staff know that the building will be closed and locked over the festive period and that entry will not be possible, even if they have a desperate desire to escape from the family for a day
5. Make a couple of people ‘key holders’ capable of entering the building in an emergency
6. Organise for a key holder to check the premises every couple of days
7. If you have an alarm, make sure it’s linked to a central monitoring station.
Don’t have an access control cards system?
This could be an ideal time to invest in a system as they provide significantly more security than a traditional lock and key. See our blog ‘Which access control cards system do I need’? for more information.
We stock access control cards, key fobs and tokens from all the leading manufacturers including Paxton, Bewator, TDSi, HID, PAC, Cotag, Impro, Indala and Kantech. We also provide smart cards and GenTech, Mifare & Desfire products that work across multiple access control platforms.